The farm land was purchased at the end of 1800 from Rosario Calabretta, descendant of a family of citrus export agents.
On these lands, initially addressed to the cultivation of grapevines, were soon installed citrus trees which, since the beginning of ‘900, were the main crop in this area of Sicily, then called “the lemon riviera”. The farm soon established itself on markets and started to export citruses in Europe and America. The “limonina”, the image of a child dressed up as a lemon, was designed at the end of ‘800 to merchandize citruses in the world and up to date it is used to promote the farm. Through the decades the Calabretta family has always maintained Sicilian citrus cultivation in the respect of the territory and of tradition. Of the ancient cultivation of grapevines there still remain some signs, such as a part of the ancient grape mill (palmento), a place used for winemaking, where it is still possible to admire the bin addressed to grapes crushing and the press, perfectly preserved.